We’re working with schools across the country to form a new Trailblazer group to develop a new apprenticeship standard for Designated School Mental Health Lead.
This role has been defined in the Green Paper ‘Transforming Children and Young People’s Mental Health Provision’ as one of the key pillars in the strategy to improve emotional health and well-being.
The core purposes of this role include:
- Oversight of whole school approaches to mental health and well-being, including how it is reflected in the design of behavioural polices, curriculum and pastoral support, how staff are supported with their own mental health and how pupils and parents are engaged
- Supporting the identification of at risk children and children exhibiting signs of mental ill health
- Knowledge of local mental health services and working with clear links into children and young people’s mental health services to refer children and young people into NHS services where it is appropriate to do so
- Coordination of the mental health needs of young people within the school or college and oversight of the delivery of interventions where these are being delivered in the educational setting
- Support to staff in contact with children with mental health needs to help raise awareness, and give staff the confidence to work with young people
- Overseeing the outcomes of interventions, on children and young people’s education and well-being.
We know that mental health problems affect a significant number of children and young people, with the most recent data suggesting that one in ten children and young people have some form of clinically diagnosable mental health disorder. This level of prevalence equates to around 850,000 children and young people with a diagnosable mental health disorder in the UK today.
Feedback from schools suggest that many will welcome the opportunity to develop the role of Designated School Mental Health Lead as a defined occupation with a relevant associated standard.
Register your interest
If you're interested in developing a Designated School Mental Health Lead - simply fill in the form below to register your interest: